Global BioImaging is an international network of imaging communities and infrastructures in the life sciences, founded in 2015 and coordinated by EMBL. It provides a global forum for communication, cooperation as well as training in imaging technologies and core facility management. With its activities it supports operators and managers of imaging infrastructure in their capacity building, outreach, and international networking activities. The Global BioImaging community also addresses strategic questions linked to management of open access imaging infrastructures including image data handling, impact assessment, and quality management. Its community members represent research infrastructures and communities from Europe, Argentina, Australia, Canada, India, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, South Africa and the United States of America (www.globalbioimaging.org).
Global BioImaging recently received a distinguished award by the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI, https://chanzuckerberg.com/), which allows us to set up an exciting as well as extensive training programme for core facility staff and managers. This program aims at building professional capacity internationally in this field by offering tailored training courses in e.g. imaging facility management and operation; image data management; latest imaging technologies; and more topics as requested by the community.
To build and run this new program, EMBL is seeking a Training Programme Manager with proven experience in the organization of training courses for scientists to join the dynamic and international team of Global BioImaging at the EMBL in Heidelberg. The Training Programme Manager will develop and organize cutting-edge training courses for imaging core facility staff together with the international Global BioImaging partners. Furthermore, the Manager will coordinate and expand the current Global BioImaging Job Shadowing program.
The Training Programme Manager will work in close collaboration with the international Euro-BioImaging Bio-Hub team and the Global BioImaging partners in the countries listed above. The responsibilities of this exciting position are as follows:
- Design and coordination of international cutting-edge training courses for imaging core facility staff with a first focus on a) image data and b) core facility management.
- For this purpose, building an international network of relevant training experts, coming e.g. from Global BioImaging partners in Europe, Argentina, Australia, Canada, India, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, South Africa, and the United States of America.
- Liaison with and support of international scientific speakers and trainers
- Management of course logistics including on-site coordination whenever needed
- Planning complementary activities of training events such as social and networking sessions, excursions etc.
- Broad advertisement of Global BioImaging training courses and its Job Shadowing program
- Actively contributing to Global BioImaging and its working groups as needed to advance the continuous development of the training program
- Coordination and expansion of the current Job Shadowing program.
International travel will be required, e.g. to venues of training courses when requested by the local organizers.
We are looking for a professional with an open attitude, the drive to deliver, the ability to work well-organised, rigorously, creatively, and independently, and who enjoys working in an international interdisciplinary team within a highly collaborative atmosphere.
- PhD (or equivalent) in the life sciences, followed by professional experience in academia or industry (postdoctoral training, facility management, project management, etc.)
- Experience in training organization, scientific services, or core facility operation
- Ability to effectively interact with multiple stakeholders on an international and interdisciplinary level, including public and private funders as well as industry partners
- Excellent organisational, management, multi-tasking, prioritising, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Passionate about science and training
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
You might also have
- Experience in design and organization of physical and/or e-learning training courses for users and providers of scientific technologies
- Experience in image data handling
- Experience in application and/or development of imaging technologies
- Experience in user support in imaging core facilities
- Experience in funding acquisition and reporting duties.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits. Excellent child care facility is available on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
The working language of the institute is English.
In your online application, you will be asked to include a cover letter, CV and the contact details of 3 referees. Further information about the position can be obtained from Federica Paina (email@example.com), Global BioImaging Manager.
Interviews are planned for end of June 2020.
The initial contract is for a period of two years.
To apply, use the button at the bottom of this page